Carly’s Parting Words

My journey at UNE has been one that I will never be able to forget. I have learned so much about myself and the world as I continually pushed myself out of my comfort zone, and I have been so thankful that CEAH has been part of that.

My journey at UNE began with an internship at a criminal defense law firm in which I provided supportive counseling and case management services to individuals experiencing incarceration. In this experience, I was able to translate my undergraduate degree of child development and psychology and connect it with these incarcerated adults. My next internship was at an in-patient psychiatric hospital. This experience affirmed my interest in applying creative arts with children and adults experiencing psychological distress. I was able to work with the spiritual arts coordinator on the adult unit, and witnessed the power of music, poetry, and art transform these individuals healing experiences.

The summer of 2019, I joined the CEAH team as a graduate assistant. I thank Tom, Regi, and Kelly for this gift as I was able to strengthen my skills related to research, creative arts, and the perspectives of older adults. I owe much of my future success to this center and this team, for I have recently accepted a position at a child therapy center that applies art therapy, play therapy, and other creative arts therapies for children. I am especially excited about this opportunity because this role also provides group therapies for older adults or grandparents that are guardians of children experiencing psychological or behavior challenges.

Being from North Carolina, I have enjoyed embodying the relaxed nature that Mainer’s live by. I will deeply miss the wonderful people I have met along the way as I move to Washington, D.C. to begin my career working with children, their families, and older adults. I have loved every minute of my experience here, and look forward to one day visiting the lovely State of Maine.

Fondly,

Carly Woolard