New Graduate Assistant, Devon Tomasi MSW ’23

We are excited to introduce you to our new graduate assistant, Devon Tomasi!  Devon is in her first year of the 2 year traditional track in our on campus MSW Program, expected to graduate in 2023. She comes to us with a rich background in neuroscience and education.  She is passionate about social work and excited to contribute to the department.  We  look forward to having her around!  Read Q&A below to learn more about Devon’s passions and interests!

Where are you doing your Field Placement and what does it entail? 

My current field placement is at Spurwink Services in Portland. I support a small caseload of clients and provide case management services. This involves meeting with clients, assessing their needs, and connecting them with services.

What areas of social work interest you most? 

As of now, I am most interested in outpatient clinical work with individuals who have experienced trauma. I also am intrigued by policy and advocacy work.

What do you want to do with your MSW? 

I would love to work as a therapist and ideally have the opportunity to engage in macro-level systems work as well. It would be great to have a clinical practice to develop a deep understanding of my clients’ needs and use this experience to inform advocacy work.

What’s your favorite part about living in Maine?

I absolutely love living near the ocean! I am from Vermont and grew up with beautiful mountains but living near the water is a whole new experience. Exploring the coast and walking on the beach have quickly become some of my favorite activities.