Who may request a WordPress site?
University WordPress Sites are available to faculty and professional staff.
Can I use another web service for my site?
The University WordPress Sites platform is a convenient, free, UNE-branded option for novice Site Publishers/Editors with minimal or no web design skills. However, faculty and professional staff are not required to use this platform for their websites and may elect to use alternate services that better suit their needs. In addition, the University of New England offers other types of digital platforms to faculty and professional staff. To learn more about Blackboard and SharePoint, please contact Information Technology Services (ITS). To learn more about DUNE (Digital UNE), please contact Library Services. To learn more about social media contact Social Media Strategist Lousie Coburn.
How will people find my site?
In addition to your site being found via search engines, Site Publishers are encouraged to add a link to their website/blog on their personal une.edu profile page. Additionally, it may be appropriate to add a link to the blog within your une.edu department subsite.
Where can I find images for my site?
Site Publishers/Editors can use official UNE images stored on Canto, which can be accessed using your U-Online credentials. Use of the WordPress Service is governed by its policies including its Copyright Policy and Copyright Guidelines.
Can I upload video to my site?
Videos should be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. You can then embed links to those videos on your page.
How do I request editor privileges for people who will help me edit my site?
As the Publisher of your WordPress site, you may grant editor access to others as long as they possess a valid UNE email address.
Is a University WordPress Site right for me?
University WordPress Sites are available to faculty and professional staff. The sites will:
- Provide faculty and professional staff with a free community platform that enables them to control their own research and academic content.
- Provide faculty and professional staff with an official UNE platform and domain that satisfies brand guidelines.
- Showcase the research work of UNE faculty to faculty peers at other institutions, the public, including prospective students, current students, local community members, and colleagues in higher education.
- Provide a place for faculty and professional staff to share their work with others in their respective fields.
- Provide a place for faculty and professional staff to highlight student achievement working in faculty labs.
Department chairs and supervisors are responsible for ensuring that the site requestor is a current UNE faculty or professional staff member and that the proposed site aligns with the department’s vision with regard to scholarship.
- UNE-branded layouts and consistent font styles
- Easy-to-use site editor
- A variety of layout options
- Blogging capabilities
- Ability to add photos
- Ability to embed YouTube and Vimeo videos
- Social media icons for linking to owner social media accounts
- Ability to post a variety of file types (jpg, jpeg, png, gif, pdf, doc, docx, ppt, odt, pptx, ppsx, xls, xlsx, key, mp3, ogg, m4a, wav, mp4, rdata, csv)
All Site Publishers/Editors must have a UNE email address and be a UNE faculty or professional staff member. Students with a UNE email address may also be assigned by the Site Publisher to contribute to the site.
Are there guidelines and policies I need to follow as a Site Publisher?
In order to provide websites that follow best practices in digital strategy, University WordPress Sites are governed by a set of policies developed by the Office of Communications, ITS, and the University Faculty Assembly.
Policies include terms around responsibility, accountability, update frequency, and overall site purpose. WordPress Guidelines and Procedures can be found on the sites.une.edu website as a link in every website footer.
What are my responsibilities as department chair when asked to approve a site?
Department chairs, and supervisors are responsible for ensuring that the site requestor is a current UNE faculty or professional staff member and that the proposed site aligns with the department’s vision with regard to scholarship and outreach strategies.
How can I view the sites of other UNE faculty and professional staff?
You may view the University WordPress sites of other faculty and professional staff by visiting sites.une.edu and clicking on “Directory” in the top navigation.
How often should I update the content on my site?
Any WordPress Site’s Blog or News section must be updated every month, at least once per month. General content must be reviewed and refreshed every six (6) months.
Any website that is not updated within this time frame will be deactivated. Site Publishers will be notified prior to deactivation. This policy is to ensure that digital properties representing UNE are up-to-date and accurate.
Is there a cost involved in having a site?
University WordPress Sites are available at no cost to UNE faculty and professional staff.