A Word From the Film Director

Alban Maino, Executive Producer and Founder of Memory Lane TV (the Netflix of dementia)

When I was 16, my first summer job was unlike anything my peers were doing. I found myself assisting my mother, an Art therapist, in a psychiatric hospital, helping to launch the facility’s first local private television network. It was an ambitious project, involving cameras and fiber optic distribution to deliver content across 10 buildings to both residents and staff. Among the various initiatives, my mother’s decision to produce a short film called “The Crabbit Old Woman” by Phyllis McCormack stood out. This wasn’t just any film; it was crafted with the intention of transforming how caregivers perceived residents, emphasizing the rich histories behind each individual.

What made this project particularly moving was that it was based on a personal experience of a woman in Ireland. The film resonated deeply with audiences and was sold all around the country, highlighting the universal nature of its message.

Fast forward nearly three decades, and Dr. Wehry’s invitation to work on a poem that caught her attention felt like déjà vu. It was as if my subconscious had anticipated this moment, ready to resurrect the spirit of that original project but on a grander scale – a national campaign for care partners worldwide. The excitement I felt was palpable; my ears glowed with anticipation. Over the next three months, we poured our hearts into producing a new short film. While distinct from our creation 30 years prior, it carried the same crucial message, reimagined for a modern audience. This project wasn’t just a trip down memory lane; it was a chance to reignite an important conversation about empathy and understanding in healthcare, adapting our approach for a new era of caregiving.

I invite you to discover this powerful film for yourself. It’s more than just a viewing experience; it’s an opportunity to shift perspectives and foster greater empathy in healthcare. The film has been translated into four different languages (English, French, Italian and Spanish), making its message accessible to a truly global audience. We encourage you to share it on your social media platforms – let’s spread this important message far and wide. By sharing, you’re not just passing along a video; you’re contributing to a movement that aims to transform how we approach care and human dignity. Together, we can make a real difference in the lives of care recipients and caregivers alike.

– Alban Maino

Founder of Memory Lane TV, the “Netflix of Dementia”

am@memory-lane.tv